The ancient lands.

RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions?

Techimo
    Techimo

RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions? VOZLn

RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions? Medal13RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions? Medalw11

: Male
     Rep15

RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions? Empty RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions?

Post by Techimo

We’re technically not yet at Sonic Generations‘s launch day. But TSSZ has learned through a source that development is already well underway on Sonic’s next adventure tailored to Nintendo’s next console–and it’s not a Generations port.

TSSZ has learned Sonic Dimensions, a working title for the next Sonic, will take place directly after Generations and be a spiritual successor to Sonic Colors. We don’t know if this game will necessarily be exclusive to the Wii U, but we’re told it will have visual quality in line with Generations and it will take advantage of many Wii U specific capabilities. That includes the use of the Wii U mini-tablets for up to a 4 person multiplayer, and use of the revised Wii U remote and its touchscreen to destroy enemies and activate powers.

So what’s the gimmick this time? TSSZ has learned Dimensions’s storyline will center around another time-space continuum shift at the hands of Eggman that not only alters Sonic’s world, but himself. Sonic will allegedly split into multiple personalities denoted by color–each of which having their own unique abilities. That’s right, if this holds, recolored Sonics are now a reality.

In addition to the main Sonic, which will remain blue and act as a core uniting “ghost” of sorts in-game, we’re told there will be five other colors: Red, Orange, Purple, Green, and Yellow. We were told very specific things about each Sonic. Red Sonic, for example, can cause explosions to presumably open up new areas, but has a slow speed and a short jump. Purple Sonic, allegedly parodying Shadow and Silver, will be able to move platforms and float, with the dark nonsensical attitude to boot. And perhaps the most interesting tidbit: our sources compared the Orange personality to Big the Cat, a lumbering hedgehog even slower than his red counterpart…until he’s powered up. There is also a yellow Sonic–not a Super Sonic–that will be the fastest of them all, but take damage easily. The source alleges only two of the personalities can be used in-stage, but all may be able to combine and act as an equivalent Super Guide. The White Sonic allegedly pops up as an option after dying in a stage a certain number of times. Using it guarantees the lowest rank at the end.

If that sounds a lot like a Nintendo idea, that’s because it is, and no wonder; we’ve learned Sega is allegedly working directly with some Nintendo developers on this game. That’s in addition to most of, if not the entire staff for Sonic Colors being back on board for Dimensions. The Nintendo developers are allegedly assisting Sega design the levels, which we’re told will be more surreal, on similar thinking as Colors. Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2 was cited as a stage that may see its ideas and concepts revived for Dimensions.

Another concept allegedly coming back: Rival battles. Eggman’s scheme is allegedly so out of control, it splits apart not just Sonic, but everyone in his world, including his friends, and the mad doctor himself. One example we learned about was the possibility of Sonic and personalities fighting an evil version of Amy Rose, finally tired of Sonic refusing her advances. We’re also told Eggman will split, and a kind-hearted version of him will act as Sonic’s guide.

The final item of note from our source is yet another assurance that we will see some 2D gameplay within, and those mechanics will be “directly ripped” from the classic Sonic physics, though we’ve heard that line for a while.

Our source requested anonymity, as the source was not authorized to speak publicly about the above details. The source also clearly advised to not necessarily take all the information at face value, since this is still a work in progress.

We are likely months away from knowing anything more about this project, if these details hold up. There remain a lot of matters here that are a bit rough around the edges, and for that and other reasons we’re filing this under Rumor despite having confidence in at least some of the information presented. Remember: When we learned about Sonic Generations in 2010, six months before its formal unveiling, it was known as just Sonic Anniversary with only a few details clear as well. This is something we will have to watch over time; do not expect instant gratification. Nevertheless, we will pass along anything more that we hear.
    Share this post on: reddit

The Freedom Fighter

Post November 6th 2011, 5:07 am by The Freedom Fighter

It isn't too surprising they'd have a game planned already. Game documents can take ages to make, so it's already done and submitted with approval, I'm sure.
    Techimo

Post November 6th 2011, 5:43 am by Techimo

But the idea of Sonic Dimensions is stupid. I mean reclors in a official Sonic Game? And the title is already used for a fan game so I don't think they will go through it.
    Sonic Adventure 2

Post November 6th 2011, 8:13 am by Sonic Adventure 2

I give up. Sega just doesn't get it. The only good games they can create are living in the past. Sonic's dead. The End. I'll stick to nostalgia and that's it.
    Techimo

Post November 6th 2011, 8:47 am by Techimo

5 years later: Sonic Characters are never playable in a Sonic game.
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 6th 2011, 2:39 pm by Nnoitra Hushimo

What is up with SEGA!? Like seriously!? WE DON'T NEED SONIC TO CHANGE! He's already perfectly fine where he is, I mean Generations brought in an 8.5/10 by IGN! And it currently has a 9.8/10 average on Gamestop.com! If anything they need to change, it's the stories and that's it. I think they need to make more games like SA1 and SA2, even 06 as of that matter (but you know, like better), and all with different stories. I swear if it sucks when it comes out in 2012, SEGA will just lose all my respect for them for even thinking about changing Sonic's style when it was already perfectly mastered! The way that they combined the 2D with the 3D elements were absolutely amazing already, but now they're going to change all that!? SEGA, what has happened to you? :(
    NeoMetalSonic

Post November 6th 2011, 4:29 pm by NeoMetalSonic

Wah wah wah a game is different

not one you want the series go forward

And who knows Sonic Team might make a good game for once since NINTENDO is helping
    SonicFanPS2

Post November 6th 2011, 4:45 pm by SonicFanPS2

NeoMetalSonic wrote:Wah wah wah a game is different

And who knows Sonic Team might make a good game for once since NINTENDO is helping

I agree! I think cooperation between the two will be okay when you consider other games they've worked together on, like F-Zero GX or the Olympic Games.
    Jmh

Post November 6th 2011, 5:23 pm by Jmh

When I first heard about this rumor, all I read was the "Recolor" part, and the fact that it could be a Wii U exclusive, so I felt it was "Meh."

But then I read the article...
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 6th 2011, 7:18 pm by Nnoitra Hushimo

I'm just saying, I hope it doesn't bring in any pointless characters, I think there's a fine amount already in the franchise. And the whole idea of different Sonics? Meh...doesn't sound really good to me. However I could be wrong if they execute it fine though.
    Sonic Adventure 2

Post November 6th 2011, 9:20 pm by Sonic Adventure 2

SonicFan001 wrote:I'm just saying, I hope it doesn't bring in any pointless characters, I think there's a fine amount already in the franchise. And the whole idea of different Sonics? Meh...doesn't sound really good to me. However I could be wrong if they execute it fine though.

Multiple Sonics = pointless characters (I heard somewhere something about playing as two Sonics)

Sonic based off Big the Cat= pointless because there already is sonic and Big; why combine them?

Battling Amy Rose? That's just sad...
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 6th 2011, 10:35 pm by Nnoitra Hushimo

Yea I hope this game doesn't go through, otherwise I'll just switch back to CoD and that won't really bother me, because only lately I've just been refreshing my Sonic history, I only started to play his stuff again back in July, but before that...last game of Sonic I ever played was Shadow the Hedgehog on the PS2 back in 05. *sigh* SEGA is being DERPed out...it's kind of frustrating tbh.
    NeoMetalSonic

Post November 6th 2011, 11:33 pm by NeoMetalSonic

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    SonicFan001 wrote:I'm just saying, I hope it doesn't bring in any pointless characters, I think there's a fine amount already in the franchise. And the whole idea of different Sonics? Meh...doesn't sound really good to me. However I could be wrong if they execute it fine though.

Multiple Sonics = pointless characters (I heard somewhere something about playing as two Sonics)

Sonic based off Big the Cat= pointless because there already is sonic and Big; why combine them?

Sonic can never be pointless for gameplay
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 7th 2011, 10:28 am by Nnoitra Hushimo

NeoMetalSonic wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

Sonic can never be pointless for gameplay

I never said Sonic is pointless for gameplay, but do we really need multiple Sonics? I think not, there's just no point. I mean we already have enough characters as it is, but now we are going to supposedly have multiples of every character now? The idea of it is just kinda dumb to me, I mean an evil Amy Rose? So far the game doesn't even sound worth buying to me at this point. AND SUPPOSEDLY this "New Sonic" that they're going to make "might" be wearing clothes. I swear if they put clothes on Sonic, Shadow, Silver (etc.) it will be the ultimate downfall of the franchise. :faecpalm:
    Nuva

Post November 7th 2011, 11:02 am by Nuva

Nintendo: Hey guys lets try something new, lets make Kirby out of yarn!
    Stupid idea, fun game.
    SEGA: Hey guys lets try something new!
    NO
    I don't understand what it is you people have against creative games. Seriously, if they kept releasing games like the 3rd Sonic, it would get old fast. Did mario stay 2D? No, and 64 is one of the best games ever made. Did Zelda stay top down? No, and Ocarina of Time is considered one of the best games ever made. I understand that you guys find that the newer games to be of lower quality, but maybe it's only because you refuse to enjoy the game if it's not the exact same as the golden classics. (and yes, I do realize that just because other companies can pull it off doesn't mean SEGA automatically can, but I really just feel that at this point people are saying Sonic is bad because everyone else is saying it)
    Ranting aside, I look forward to this game, even if Nintendo wasn't involved (which they are, which just makes it that much better).
    Techimo

Post November 7th 2011, 1:04 pm by Techimo

The only good part about this is facing Amy, so I can shut her mouth for once storywise.
    NeoMetalSonic

Post November 7th 2011, 3:02 pm by NeoMetalSonic

SonicFan001 wrote:
    NeoMetalSonic wrote:Sonic can never be pointless for gameplay

I never said Sonic is pointless for gameplay, but do we really need multiple Sonics? I think not, there's just no point. I mean we already have enough characters as it is, but now we are going to supposedly have multiples of every character now? The idea of it is just kinda dumb to me, I mean an evil Amy Rose? So far the game doesn't even sound worth buying to me at this point. AND SUPPOSEDLY this "New Sonic" that they're going to make "might" be wearing clothes. I swear if they put clothes on Sonic, Shadow, Silver (etc.) it will be the ultimate downfall of the franchise. :faecpalm:
    Multiple color Sonic are part of how the game will play
    You are assuming they will stay and be important to the overall series and ruin the characters
    Techimo

Post November 7th 2011, 4:17 pm by Techimo

It better be for multiple consoles if this is real.
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 7th 2011, 4:20 pm by Nnoitra Hushimo

NeoMetalSonic wrote:
    SonicFan001 wrote:

Multiple color Sonic are part of how the game will play
    You are assuming they will stay and be important to the overall series and ruin the characters

I'm just saying, as long as this will be the only game that the multiple characters are going to be in, then I might actually be fine with the whole plot, because as I've stated before: Multiple Sonics = pointless, that is, if they're going to remain new permanent characters in the series.
    Jmh

Post November 7th 2011, 5:16 pm by Jmh

SonicFan001 wrote:
    NeoMetalSonic wrote:Multiple color Sonic are part of how the game will play

I'm just saying, as long as this will be the only game that the multiple characters are going to be in, then I might actually be fine with the whole plot, because as I've stated before: Multiple Sonics = pointless, that is, if they're going to remain new permanent characters in the series.
    Of course they're not going to be permanent. The multiple colored Sonics are the gimmick of this game, just like the Werehog, Wisps, and Classic Sonic.

Though we still don't know if this game is even real yet.
    The Freedom Fighter

Post November 7th 2011, 6:11 pm by The Freedom Fighter

Tech Man 753 wrote:But the idea of Sonic Dimensions is stupid. I mean reclors in a official Sonic Game? And the title is already used for a fan game so I don't think they will go through it.
    Eh, worked for Zelda.
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 7th 2011, 6:13 pm by Nnoitra Hushimo

Jmh wrote:
    SonicFan001 wrote:

Of course they're not going to be permanent. The multiple colored Sonics are the gimmick of this game, just like the Werehog, Wisps, and Classic Sonic.

Though we still don't know if this game is even real yet.

Well thank God!
    Techimo

Post November 8th 2011, 11:39 am by Techimo

The Freedom Fighter wrote:
    Tech Man 753 wrote:But the idea of Sonic Dimensions is stupid. I mean reclors in a official Sonic Game? And the title is already used for a fan game so I don't think they will go through it.
    Eh, worked for Zelda.
    Sonic and the Four rings?
    Nuva

Post November 8th 2011, 9:21 pm by Nuva

When you put it like that, a fully co-op Sonic game would be amazing. Especially if each 'Sonic' had unique powers, making cooperation a key element.
    Twixie Hushimo

Post November 9th 2011, 8:42 am by Twixie Hushimo

NeoMetalSonic wrote:Wah wah wah a game is different

This quote is correct.

When I got into Sonic, Sega became the master of all video games to me, even though most of my games, and ALL of the good ones, were Nintendo. At last my brain has cleared of those lies.

However, this game sounds very similar to games like that new Kirby one with the ten Kirbies all doing different things.

Post  by Sponsored content