The ancient lands.

RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions?

Techimo
    Techimo

RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions? - Page 4 VOZLn

RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions? - Page 4 Medal13RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions? - Page 4 Medalw11

: Male
     Rep15

RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions? - Page 4 Empty RUMOR: Sonic Dimensions?

Post by Techimo

We’re technically not yet at Sonic Generations‘s launch day. But TSSZ has learned through a source that development is already well underway on Sonic’s next adventure tailored to Nintendo’s next console–and it’s not a Generations port.

TSSZ has learned Sonic Dimensions, a working title for the next Sonic, will take place directly after Generations and be a spiritual successor to Sonic Colors. We don’t know if this game will necessarily be exclusive to the Wii U, but we’re told it will have visual quality in line with Generations and it will take advantage of many Wii U specific capabilities. That includes the use of the Wii U mini-tablets for up to a 4 person multiplayer, and use of the revised Wii U remote and its touchscreen to destroy enemies and activate powers.

So what’s the gimmick this time? TSSZ has learned Dimensions’s storyline will center around another time-space continuum shift at the hands of Eggman that not only alters Sonic’s world, but himself. Sonic will allegedly split into multiple personalities denoted by color–each of which having their own unique abilities. That’s right, if this holds, recolored Sonics are now a reality.

In addition to the main Sonic, which will remain blue and act as a core uniting “ghost” of sorts in-game, we’re told there will be five other colors: Red, Orange, Purple, Green, and Yellow. We were told very specific things about each Sonic. Red Sonic, for example, can cause explosions to presumably open up new areas, but has a slow speed and a short jump. Purple Sonic, allegedly parodying Shadow and Silver, will be able to move platforms and float, with the dark nonsensical attitude to boot. And perhaps the most interesting tidbit: our sources compared the Orange personality to Big the Cat, a lumbering hedgehog even slower than his red counterpart…until he’s powered up. There is also a yellow Sonic–not a Super Sonic–that will be the fastest of them all, but take damage easily. The source alleges only two of the personalities can be used in-stage, but all may be able to combine and act as an equivalent Super Guide. The White Sonic allegedly pops up as an option after dying in a stage a certain number of times. Using it guarantees the lowest rank at the end.

If that sounds a lot like a Nintendo idea, that’s because it is, and no wonder; we’ve learned Sega is allegedly working directly with some Nintendo developers on this game. That’s in addition to most of, if not the entire staff for Sonic Colors being back on board for Dimensions. The Nintendo developers are allegedly assisting Sega design the levels, which we’re told will be more surreal, on similar thinking as Colors. Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2 was cited as a stage that may see its ideas and concepts revived for Dimensions.

Another concept allegedly coming back: Rival battles. Eggman’s scheme is allegedly so out of control, it splits apart not just Sonic, but everyone in his world, including his friends, and the mad doctor himself. One example we learned about was the possibility of Sonic and personalities fighting an evil version of Amy Rose, finally tired of Sonic refusing her advances. We’re also told Eggman will split, and a kind-hearted version of him will act as Sonic’s guide.

The final item of note from our source is yet another assurance that we will see some 2D gameplay within, and those mechanics will be “directly ripped” from the classic Sonic physics, though we’ve heard that line for a while.

Our source requested anonymity, as the source was not authorized to speak publicly about the above details. The source also clearly advised to not necessarily take all the information at face value, since this is still a work in progress.

We are likely months away from knowing anything more about this project, if these details hold up. There remain a lot of matters here that are a bit rough around the edges, and for that and other reasons we’re filing this under Rumor despite having confidence in at least some of the information presented. Remember: When we learned about Sonic Generations in 2010, six months before its formal unveiling, it was known as just Sonic Anniversary with only a few details clear as well. This is something we will have to watch over time; do not expect instant gratification. Nevertheless, we will pass along anything more that we hear.
    Share this post on: reddit

Nuva

Post November 21st 2011, 9:36 pm by Nuva

Depends on the wisp really. Lazer and Spike were rad, Cube and Rocket were meh.
    Sonic Adventure 2

Post November 21st 2011, 10:22 pm by Sonic Adventure 2

SonicFan001 wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

How did Sonic Adventure screw up the franchise? Point is, it didn't. So Sonic in 3D can be successful... The problem is that Sonic Team is blaming 3D gaming for their own mishaps in Sonic 06 and other games, even though they've had prior success with it.

Nonetheless, I find your point valid, although I'm not in approval of 2.5 Sonic.
    I said nothing about the Adventure series screwing up the Sonic franchise. In fact, I actually think those were some of the best games ever made (and I'm pretty sure I still even have my old copies of SA and SA2 somewhere in my house), but what I am saying is that they don't really want to make another 3D game because of the "failure" that 06 was and they don't want another episode where everyone complained because "It was 3D and I don't like 3D" or "There were way too many characters" wah wah wah, and Sonic Team really doesn't want to deal with that again, and who could blame them? And so Sonic Team is blaming the 3D gameplay for being one of the factors that caused Sonic to go down the hole, so now they're just sticking with the whole "half and half" deal with 2D combined with 3D mix, or better known as 2.5D gameplay, although I strongly disagree with the whole "3D sucks" statement and I really loved the 3D Sonic games, but I guess people will have their opinions.

Sorry if I sounded rude, I didn't mean to.

I understand your statement, but what I'm trying to say is that Sonic Team shouldn't avoid 3D simply because the formula primarily failed for a single game. Besides 3D gameplay, there were other things wrong with Sonic 360 as well, certain flaws in the story. Regardless, one large failure should not surmount for all.

As for the characters, that has nothing to do with 3D games. That is simply a different entity. And as we all know, Unleashed created Chip, another new character to add into the long list of characters. There's also the fact that Sonic Team can make a 3D game without any new characters, or less characters for that matter. This connects more to the storyline than to 3D gaming.

I agree very much with your last sentence. Because of the worst showing in arguably video game history, Sonic 360 has made 3D Sonic look bad in general, but that one game shouldn't throw 3D out the window. Look at the Adventure series; to me that is the best series thus far (and could possibly be the best Sonic series we ever get).
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 21st 2011, 10:39 pm by Nnoitra Hushimo

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    SonicFan001 wrote:
    I said nothing about the Adventure series screwing up the Sonic franchise. In fact, I actually think those were some of the best games ever made (and I'm pretty sure I still even have my old copies of SA and SA2 somewhere in my house), but what I am saying is that they don't really want to make another 3D game because of the "failure" that 06 was and they don't want another episode where everyone complained because "It was 3D and I don't like 3D" or "There were way too many characters" wah wah wah, and Sonic Team really doesn't want to deal with that again, and who could blame them? And so Sonic Team is blaming the 3D gameplay for being one of the factors that caused Sonic to go down the hole, so now they're just sticking with the whole "half and half" deal with 2D combined with 3D mix, or better known as 2.5D gameplay, although I strongly disagree with the whole "3D sucks" statement and I really loved the 3D Sonic games, but I guess people will have their opinions.

Sorry if I sounded rude, I didn't mean to.

I understand your statement, but what I'm trying to say is that Sonic Team shouldn't avoid 3D simply because the formula primarily failed for a single game. Besides 3D gameplay, there were other things wrong with Sonic 360 as well, certain flaws in the story. Regardless, one large failure should not surmount for all.

As for the characters, that has nothing to do with 3D games. That is simply a different entity. And as we all know, Unleashed created Chip, another new character to add into the long list of characters. There's also the fact that Sonic Team can make a 3D game without any new characters, or less characters for that matter. This connects more to the storyline than to 3D gaming.

I agree very much with your last sentence. Because of the worst showing in arguably video game history, Sonic 360 has made 3D Sonic look bad in general, but that one game shouldn't throw 3D out the window. Look at the Adventure series; to me that is the best series thus far (and could possibly be the best Sonic series we ever get).
    I agree with your last paragraph, it was one of the best series in the franchise. And I also agree that Sonic Team shouldn't stop with the 3D stuff just because of the failure of one game. If given the time, they could make another great 3D Adventure game. And no, you didn't sound rude.

Last edited by SonicFan001 on November 22nd 2011, 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nuva

Post November 22nd 2011, 12:07 am by Nuva

I think the biggest reason they haven't gone back to an adventure style game is because with the current 3D engine, platforming is extremely awkward. You get used to it, but for those new to the series it can really throw you off. I'm interesting in seeing maybe Adventure-style physics with boost and how that would work. Maybe that's why everyone says the new Sonic games suck, they just can't get used to the new physics? This also goes along with you guys saying how annoying the 2D sections are because those bits force you to use that awkward physics to make jumps and timing.
    Also, an actual 3D Knuckles level, not some treasure hunting minigame. That would be rad.
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 22nd 2011, 12:16 am by Nnoitra Hushimo

nuva500 wrote:I think the biggest reason they haven't gone back to an adventure style game is because with the current 3D engine, platforming is extremely awkward. You get used to it, but for those new to the series it can really throw you off. I'm interesting in seeing maybe Adventure-style physics with boost and how that would work. Maybe that's why everyone says the new Sonic games suck, they just can't get used to the new physics? This also goes along with you guys saying how annoying the 2D sections are because those bits force you to use that awkward physics to make jumps and timing.
    Also, an actual 3D Knuckles level, not some treasure hunting minigame. That would be rad.
    Actually, I don't have any problem with the 2D gameplay, but preferably speaking, I choose 3D.
    Sonic Adventure 2

Post November 22nd 2011, 10:14 am by Sonic Adventure 2

nuva500 wrote:I think the biggest reason they haven't gone back to an adventure style game is because with the current 3D engine, platforming is extremely awkward. You get used to it, but for those new to the series it can really throw you off. I'm interesting in seeing maybe Adventure-style physics with boost and how that would work. Maybe that's why everyone says the new Sonic games suck, they just can't get used to the new physics? This also goes along with you guys saying how annoying the 2D sections are because those bits force you to use that awkward physics to make jumps and timing.

It depends what you base the game off. If you base the game using the Adventure engine, you base the game more as a platformer, and speed comes second. If you base the game off the new engine, all that matters is speed and trial and error. Preferrably I don't like the new engine because I like to take my time and collect things and play casually. I play Sonic for fun and running aimlessly is no fun to me. The 2D engine and 2.5D (new engine) are still different in how they play.
    Nuva

Post November 22nd 2011, 10:26 am by Nuva

Maybe they could incorporate both? Making it so that you can blast through a level with trial and error to get S rank, but another way to get S rank would be to explore and platform, getting points and what not for taking certain routes that are impossible when moving at max speed, could be a good move for SEGA.
    TrueSonicBlue

Post November 22nd 2011, 11:45 am by TrueSonicBlue

i hate to burst your bubble my friend but sega/sonic team are not going to go back to the adventure series as cool as it sound it would be somewhat of a step back from the direction Takashi Iizuka is planing to go.
    Techimo

Post November 22nd 2011, 12:48 pm by Techimo

But it would be cool if they had the boost and the adventure style to please all fans.
    Sonic Adventure 2

Post November 22nd 2011, 3:13 pm by Sonic Adventure 2

TrueSonicBlue wrote:i hate to burst your bubble my friend but sega/sonic team are not going to go back to the adventure series as cool as it sound it would be somewhat of a step back from the direction Takashi Iizuka is planing to go.
    That's why Sonic will no longer be good in the eyes of many fans and IGN.

nuva500 wrote:Maybe they could incorporate both? Making it so that you can blast through a level with trial and error to get S rank, but another way to get S rank would be to explore and platform, getting points and what not for taking certain routes that are impossible when moving at max speed, could be a good move for SEGA.
    I don't think it's possible to include both. How would the levels be designed? The levels are designed in a certain way to suit only one of the modes.
    Nuva

Post November 22nd 2011, 5:52 pm by Nuva

I know Trueblue, but we're just wishful thinking right now.
    The Freedom Fighter

Post November 22nd 2011, 6:04 pm by The Freedom Fighter

What I would like to see is a mixture of all sorts. For example, keep Sonic as he is, but fuse in the Classic Sonic gameplay with his that we just saw in Generations, and also make it have more tinges of Adventure style.

Have Knuckles, Shadow, Tails, etc. play like Sonic, but only have Boost as an optional power so it feels more exclusive to Sonic and lets the others have their exploration bonus.

And then maybe have the Chaotix show up to play like Heroes. :P
    TrueSonicBlue

Post November 22nd 2011, 7:31 pm by TrueSonicBlue

my apologies didn't mean to be rude. but you know what would be cool? Speaking of wishful thinking if they made another multiplayer game with at less shadow as a playable character.
    Nuva

Post November 22nd 2011, 9:02 pm by Nuva

Multiplayer would be rad, if they had actual levels instead of those half levels that 2-battle had. Although I suppose those were still fun.
    Sonic Adventure 2

Post November 22nd 2011, 11:17 pm by Sonic Adventure 2

nuva500 wrote:I know Trueblue, but we're just wishful thinking right now.
    That's what I live for now that the true Sonic is dead in my eyes.
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 23rd 2011, 1:44 am by Nnoitra Hushimo

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    TrueSonicBlue wrote:i hate to burst your bubble my friend but sega/sonic team are not going to go back to the adventure series as cool as it sound it would be somewhat of a step back from the direction Takashi Iizuka is planing to go.
    That's why Sonic will no longer be good in the eyes of many fans and IGN.
    I find a lot of truth in this.
    Nuva

Post November 23rd 2011, 3:51 am by Nuva

I wouldn't consider Sonic dead, I absolutely loved Generations. But to each their own I suppose...
    Sonic Adventure 2

Post November 23rd 2011, 10:14 am by Sonic Adventure 2

nuva500 wrote:I wouldn't consider Sonic dead, I absolutely loved Generations. But to each their own I suppose...
    Well, I bet Generations is a good game, but as I've said before it's a game about living in the past. It's not relatively new content.
    Nuva

Post November 23rd 2011, 2:10 pm by Nuva

Valid reasoning. I suppose we'll just have to wait for the next game then before either of us is convinced of anything.
    Jmh

Post November 23rd 2011, 8:25 pm by Jmh

Apparently, we might be revisiting old locations like in Generations...

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/11/23/spanish-onm-picks-up-sonic-dimensions-rumor/comment-page-1/
    Nuva

Post November 24th 2011, 3:11 am by Nuva

Oh I hope not, I really liked the re-imagining of old levels but if they keep doing it the charm will be lost and it'll just be stale =/
    Sonic Adventure 2

Post November 24th 2011, 6:48 am by Sonic Adventure 2

nuva500 wrote:Oh I hope not, I really liked the re-imagining of old levels but if they keep doing it the charm will be lost and it'll just be stale =/
    I can easily see it happening. How many times has Sonic Team either re-made or rereleased the classics? Sonic Team often resorts to nostalgia because they fear failure in their newer games.
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Post November 24th 2011, 10:29 am by Nnoitra Hushimo

There's only one solution, and I've said this many times.
    Bring back the Adventure-styled gameplay!
    Nuva

Post November 24th 2011, 12:26 pm by Nuva

Well I suppose if it's still a good game I won't complain too much. We'll just have to wait and see.
    The Freedom Fighter

Post November 24th 2011, 4:30 pm by The Freedom Fighter

SonicFan001 wrote:There's only one solution, and I've said this many times.
    Bring back the Adventure-styled gameplay!
    So then it'll be remade levels with remade gameplay? Still fine by me either way. :P

Post  by Sponsored content