Pooka
16 posters

How to improve Sonic 4?

DarkSamus117
    DarkSamus117

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 WFmvl

: Male
     Rep0

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Empty Re: How to improve Sonic 4?

Post by DarkSamus117 August 11th 2012, 11:59 pm

Auflodern wrote:
    DarkSamus117 wrote:

Glad you understood, but how was I nitpicking when regarding the physics? I just want Sonic loosened up a bit, and the rolling fixed to the point where the rolling is actually effective.

Not semi-effective, effective. The one in Episode 2 doesn't get you much speed.

When you're roleplaying as "le furstest thing alerve" You probably aren't going to be stopping on a hillside out of nowhere.

also the spindash in any of the original games didn't give you much of a speedboost.

I probably should have worded that differently.

What I meant is, that at points where it should give you lots of speed (Beginning of Sylvania Castle Act 2), you don't accelarate to the point when you think you should. While rolling down that hill in act 2, you go fast, but you should be going faster. Running will gain you more speed than rolling. That shouldn't happen.
    sykog
    sykog

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Imagee10

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Blackr10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medalw11How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medalg10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Zigzag10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog August 12th 2012, 1:47 am

I only played Episode 1 but the worst thing about that was the physics. Going into a spin dash down a hill would actually be slower than running.
    Nuva
    Nuva

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medalw11How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medal13

Rep20

Post by Nuva August 12th 2012, 5:25 am

Actually they fixed that in episode two, I tested it and rolling does make you move faster than running again.
    Pooka
    Pooka

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Kz2PK

Rep1

Post by Pooka August 12th 2012, 10:24 am

I don't really feel some speed when rolling on a hill in Episode II. The thing that bothered me the most is the uncurling off a hill when rolling in Episode I. Sonic curls when he is running off a hil in Eps II. Shouldn't he just keep running in the air?

I don't want to have combo moves with each character or change lead like Sonic Heroes. You choose the lead in a character selection screen and a sidekick if you're interested. Sonic and Tails do combo moves.
    DarkSamus117
    DarkSamus117

Rep0

Post by DarkSamus117 August 12th 2012, 2:28 pm

Pooka wrote:I don't really feel some speed when rolling on a hill in Episode II. The thing that bothered me the most is the uncurling off a hill when rolling in Episode I. Sonic curls when he is running off a hil in Eps II. Shouldn't he just keep running in the air?

I don't want to have combo moves with each character or change lead like Sonic Heroes. You choose the lead in a character selection screen and a sidekick if you're interested. Sonic and Tails do combo moves.

Take a look at my post at the top of the page, it explains the benefits of switching the character lead on the fly.
    Pooka
    Pooka

Rep1

Post by Pooka August 12th 2012, 3:09 pm

DarkSamus117 wrote:
    Pooka wrote:I don't really feel some speed when rolling on a hill in Episode II. The thing that bothered me the most is the uncurling off a hill when rolling in Episode I. Sonic curls when he is running off a hil in Eps II. Shouldn't he just keep running in the air?

Take a look at my post at the top of the page, it explains the benefits of switching the character lead on the fly.

Imagine you took the usual path, and ended up in a place where you must switch lead to Tails. And you have Knuckles instead. The path for Knuckles was behind a large pit, that gliding by Knuckles won't be able to reach the pit's walls before he plummets to his doom in order to trackback. Or lets say you got a homing chain route, and can't trackback to the place for your lead character.

Frustration and heck, complaints. Talk about Dimps who may make such levels. Talk about complaints for "Speed" "Fly" and "Power" signs everywhere.

That game should be something in the name of Sonic Heroes 2D. Not Sonic 4.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 ZtZYh

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Blackr10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medalw11How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Zigzag10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 White10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medal13How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter August 12th 2012, 3:26 pm

Nuva wrote:Actually they fixed that in episode two, I tested it and rolling does make you move faster than running again.
    Usually.
    Nuva
    Nuva

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medalw11How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medal13

Rep20

Post by Nuva August 12th 2012, 3:29 pm

Usually? Where does it not? I've only tested on a few hills so I'm actually curious.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Blackr10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medalw11How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Zigzag10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 White10How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 Medal13How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter August 12th 2012, 3:33 pm

Nuva wrote:Usually? Where does it not? I've only tested on a few hills so I'm actually curious.
    I can't remember exact places, but it'll happen at some points in later levels.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva August 12th 2012, 3:35 pm

I'll take your word on it I guess. I wonder what Dimps has against rolling, they're trying so hard to not give it back.
    SpeedyBlueDude
    SpeedyBlueDude

How to improve Sonic 4? - Page 2 GOMM8

Rep4

Post by SpeedyBlueDude August 12th 2012, 8:36 pm

Nuva wrote:Actually they fixed that in episode two, I tested it and rolling does make you move faster than running again.
    IT doesn't feel natural though. The speed increase is like %10.

Also, was I the only one who didn't noticed the 'bad' physics when I played Episode 1 for the first time? I didn't notice or think anything of them until I came on the internet to the see the MASSIVE hate for them
    Pooka
    Pooka

Rep1

Post by Pooka August 12th 2012, 10:32 pm

SpeedyBlueDude wrote:
    IT doesn't feel natural though. The speed increase is like %10.

Also, was I the only one who didn't noticed the 'bad' physics when I played Episode 1 for the first time? I didn't notice or think anything of them until I came on the internet to the see the MASSIVE hate for them

Umm the first thing you'll notice in the broken physics, internet or not, is uncurling off ramps when rolling even though you shouldn't. The rest of the broken physics, I had the same situation like you, where getting into the topic further brought me to think of broken physics.

The spindash is only useful for getting the red ring in Sky Fortress Act 3, and if you took the upper route after the ramp in Oil Desert Act 3, to get some speed to press the red button thingy to stop sand flow and continue the level. Other than that, its the free homing attack (as I call it) that makes you gain speed instantly.
    Azzy
    Azzy

Rep0

Post by Azzy August 13th 2012, 6:45 am

Pooka wrote:Umm the first thing you'll notice in the broken physics, internet or not, is uncurling off ramps when rolling even though you shouldn't.

I don't think that problem was related to the physics engine.
    Pooka wrote:The rest of the broken physics, I had the same situation like you, where getting into the topic further brought me to think of broken physics.

Mhmm. Tbh, you can only exploit the engine if you go out of the way to do it (such as stopping midway on a steep incline). Everything else in the game was caused by the lack of momentum, forcing you to hold right the entire time.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva August 13th 2012, 6:43 pm

I noticed the physics in episode one immediately, but that's because I tried to spindash the moment the level started like in Sonic 3 but then I came to a stop like two feet forward and it kinda took me off guard.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter August 13th 2012, 7:54 pm

Uncurling was done on purpose.
    Pooka
    Pooka

Rep1

Post by Pooka August 13th 2012, 8:25 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Uncurling was done on purpose.

I need a source link that says that. Or I'll take it as a flaw. Yet it seems logical cause of all the homing attack chains that come after uncurling, yet this happens in Episode II as well (Oil Desert Act 2.)
    Light_Framez
    Light_Framez

Rep0

Post by Light_Framez August 13th 2012, 8:37 pm

These games are getting alittle to overrated now, To much nostalgia.. I miss the Underratedness from his games like Sonic Unleashed, Black night, 06 and most of all. Sonic Adventure 1/2.

Seriously, Don't you ever get bored of seeing sonic 1 stuck on replay?

Pooka
    Pooka

Rep1

Post by Pooka August 13th 2012, 8:44 pm

Nope?

As long as we get Sonic games, no matter where he plays, I'm in. Actually you may come later and say "too much modern" for any new 3D Sonic game on the way.

All what I need is for a poll to exist, on whether people are satisfied with Sonic 4 or not, and then we may get the average rating. All what I see now is people under ratting the thing, especially Episode I's iOS update, the one with the ad and save file deletion. As long as they don't do such a move again, I support the idea of Sonic 4, and would like to see better physics, better level style and such, to get a game everyone would play without complaining. Leave the green eyes and all these minor stuff.

Also lets say there must be a button that takes you to the world map and not to the next level like in both episodes.
    Light_Framez
    Light_Framez

Rep0

Post by Light_Framez August 13th 2012, 8:59 pm

Pooka wrote:

Actually you may come later and say "too much modern" for any new 3D Sonic game on the way.
    If they continue to use the same formula from previous games for too long. Then yeah I'll come back and say "To much modern".

And I 100% agree with mapping a button that can take to the map instead of forcing you to begin the next act.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest August 14th 2012, 1:25 am

Light_Framez wrote:These games are getting alittle to overrated now, To much nostalgia.. I miss the Underratedness from his games like Sonic Unleashed, Black night, 06 and most of all. Sonic Adventure 1/2.

Seriously, Don't you ever get bored of seeing sonic 1 stuck on replay?

I agree with all of them, especially Unleashed.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva August 15th 2012, 12:01 am

Doesn't not pushing anything take you back to the world map though?
    Gaming Misfit
    Gaming Misfit

Rep1

Post by Gaming Misfit August 15th 2012, 1:44 am

The price is the biggest thing for me. Each episode is too expensive, especially for what you're getting.

Nuva
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva August 15th 2012, 1:48 am

I agree with you on that, I think each one would be better fitting at ten dollars for the length they are. Possibly five, but that's pushing it, especially for episode two.
    Pooka
    Pooka

Rep1

Post by Pooka August 15th 2012, 10:12 am

Total of 15$ (as I think) for Episode II on Steam. For 4 zones and an extra final zone, plus Episode Metal if you own Episode I. I ponder how much was Sonic & Knuckles alone.

Anyways, @Nuva, Light was talking about the iOS version I think. It sends him straight to the next act without pushing anything. Console versions and PC however, requires you to press a button to go to the next act or else you're sent to the world map. This and the two forced bonus levels in Episode I, weird.

How would you expect the price to be if a complete Sonic 4 locked on together like Sonic 3 & Knuckles to be? Would it be a 30$ game, and we get a boxed version, or else?
    Light_Framez
    Light_Framez

Rep0

Post by Light_Framez August 15th 2012, 11:52 am

No actually I have the PC version.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content