Jmh
Sonic Adventure 2
SonicFanPS2
65 posters

Sonic Generations

Jmh
    Jmh

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Imagee10

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medalw11Sonic Generations - Page 5 White10Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medal13

: Male
     Rep67

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Empty Re: Sonic Generations

Post by Jmh June 12th 2011, 3:11 pm

Hushimo wrote:Which is... good?
    Absolutely.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medalw11Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medal13

Rep20

Post by Nuva June 12th 2011, 7:37 pm

Hushimo wrote:Oh Nintendo, you and your subpar hardware.
    I prefer to think 'innovative' hardware, but whatever.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Kz2PK

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 June 12th 2011, 9:23 pm

nuva500 wrote:Ah, oh well. Maybe it'll turn into another 2006 and I won't be missing anything. Or maybe it'll turn into another Colors and be pretty good. Whatever.

I'm also debating on whether to get it or not. Either way, the game isn't a step forward.

And I found Unleashed to be inferior in general, though I only played it on the Wii. It's the concept that wasn't fun.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 June 12th 2011, 9:33 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:I wouldn't say tearing the heart out...
    Don't forget, Naka was running the franchise into the ground and jumped off just as SNG crashed, AND that's when the franchise started picking itself in such a beautiful way. From Secret Rings to Colors, the franchise has been building the ultimate gameplay style, combining the sidescrolling with the Adventures and even Rush to form what we have for Generations. Believe me, while you may not be a fan of the new gameplay, the franchise is back.
    If I don't like the way they make games today, why should I be happy? This 2.5d is no fun- all you do is rush through levels while disregarding the adventure aspects. The game becomes more trial and error rather than exploration and adventure.

Trial and error is no more fun than trying to solve an algebra problem- you need to keep on doing it until it is right. While I'm not against education, I feel algebra is unnecessary. The obstacles in games like Unleashed (and those after) are similar. This is not what I find fun.

I wouldn't call this ultimate gameplay, but that sadly is an opinion of one distraught fan.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva June 12th 2011, 11:40 pm

I'm only suggesting that it'll turn into another 2006 to make myself feel better about not being able to get it.
    Hushimo
    Hushimo

Sonic Generations - Page 5 GOMM8

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medal13

Rep38

Post by Hushimo June 13th 2011, 12:17 am

nuva500 wrote:I'm only suggesting that it'll turn into another 2006 to make myself feel better about not being able to get it.

...Fridge brilliance!

Everything makes sense now! Everyone who's been bashing Sonic even when he makes an honest attempt at being good is just knocking it because they either haven't tried it, can't beat it, or can't afford it. You're a genius!
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Sonic Generations - Page 5 ZtZYh

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Blackr10Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medalw11Sonic Generations - Page 5 Zigzag10Sonic Generations - Page 5 White10Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medal13Sonic Generations - Page 5 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 13th 2011, 3:10 am

The fact is this new gameplay style is the future. They've been spending five years building it up, they thought it through, and made sure it was as great as possible. I can't think of many companies that worked a plan this well, so Sega is doing the right thing.
    Jmh wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:
    Jmh wrote:I never understood why people want this game on the Wii. It would probably be an inferior port like Sonic Unleashed was.
    Because they want to play it, of course. It's just this game can't be ported down sadly.
    Well there is the 3DS, which looks like Sonic Colors gameplay.
    But the 3DS is only stronger than a Gamecube. Confused
    That's not really fair though. Nintendo just took the next step. Sony and Microsoft took a step ahead, and now look at them.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Blackr10Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medalw11Sonic Generations - Page 5 Zigzag10Sonic Generations - Page 5 White10Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medal13Sonic Generations - Page 5 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 13th 2011, 3:15 am

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:If I don't like the way they make games today, why should I be happy? This 2.5d is no fun- all you do is rush through levels while disregarding the adventure aspects. The game becomes more trial and error rather than exploration and adventure.
    Then don't boost to win. When I saw SUSD, I knew that the best way to enjoy it for me would be to cut out on boosting, and I was happier for it. And if you didn't notice in Colors, it is becoming exploration again.

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:Trial and error is no more fun than trying to solve an algebra problem- you need to keep on doing it until it is right. While I'm not against education, I feel algebra is unnecessary. The obstacles in games like Unleashed (and those after) are similar. This is not what I find fun.
    It's not like that...the QTEs were sometimes, but that was hardly a huge dilemma.

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:I wouldn't call this ultimate gameplay, but that sadly is an opinion of one distraught fan.
    Well, it's either that or constantly changing it up. You definitely want consistency over random gameplay changes at every turn.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva June 13th 2011, 3:31 am

I'm sorry, I didn't really mean to bash the game, I was just kind of trying to make a joke. Also, I spy a troper.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 June 13th 2011, 7:25 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:The fact is this new gameplay style is the future. They've been spending five years building it up, they thought it through, and made sure it was as great as possible. I can't think of many companies that worked a plan this well, so Sega is doing the right thing.
    Jmh wrote:Well there is the 3DS, which looks like Sonic Colors gameplay.
    But the 3DS is only stronger than a Gamecube. Confused
    That's not really fair though. Nintendo just took the next step. Sony and Microsoft took a step ahead, and now look at them.

Nintendo was actually smart. They managed to sell the "subpar" Wii and make just as much money as the PS3 and XBOX360 with a system of low quality. Now they come out with the real stuff after they've already made a lot of money. And this is also quite innovative. It will help their bank expand.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 June 13th 2011, 7:32 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:If I don't like the way they make games today, why should I be happy? This 2.5d is no fun- all you do is rush through levels while disregarding the adventure aspects. The game becomes more trial and error rather than exploration and adventure.
    Then don't boost to win. When I saw SUSD, I knew that the best way to enjoy it for me would be to cut out on boosting, and I was happier for it. And if you didn't notice in Colors, it is becoming exploration again.

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:Trial and error is no more fun than trying to solve an algebra problem- you need to keep on doing it until it is right. While I'm not against education, I feel algebra is unnecessary. The obstacles in games like Unleashed (and those after) are similar. This is not what I find fun.
    It's not like that...the QTEs were sometimes, but that was hardly a huge dilemma.

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:I wouldn't call this ultimate gameplay, but that sadly is an opinion of one distraught fan.
    Well, it's either that or constantly changing it up. You definitely want consistency over random gameplay changes at every turn.

I've played Colors a little, and I found it to be very reminiscent of how Unleashed was like. Sure, it had a bit more exploration, but it still resembled Unleashed's 2.5 level design based on speed.

I don't know what you mean by QTE and SUSD.

And changing it up is exactly what I see Sonic Team doing. I haven't seen consistency in their games, but I think that's what they want to do in order to reach a lot of fans.

Anyway, this is just me speaking. You can like it. It's your glory days of Sonic. Mine have passed. I'm just here for nostalgic purposes and trying to promote the once glory Sonic of my own era.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 14th 2011, 6:11 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:I've played Colors a little, and I found it to be very reminiscent of how Unleashed was like. Sure, it had a bit more exploration, but it still resembled Unleashed's 2.5 level design based on speed.
    Right, because they wanted it to be seen as a sequel that improved SU's problems.
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:I don't know what you mean by QTE and SUSD.
    Quick Time Event and Sonic Unleashed Standard Definition, the nickname for the Wii/PS2 version.
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:And changing it up is exactly what I see Sonic Team doing. I haven't seen consistency in their games, but I think that's what they want to do in order to reach a lot of fans.
    Exactly, and with Unleashed, they now have their consistent path.
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:Anyway, this is just me speaking. You can like it. It's your glory days of Sonic. Mine have passed. I'm just here for nostalgic purposes and trying to promote the once glory Sonic of my own era.
    My glory days started in the Genesis era and continue on.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 June 15th 2011, 9:03 am

I agree with you mostly, I just don't find Unleashed's concept to be considered fun. In fact, if it is considered SA3, I find it to plague that series due to its differentation.

Sonic Team is still changing it up though. They still revert back to Sonic 4 for so-called "originality". But now they will consistently progress with the equation that made Unleashed successful.

I will be frank in saying I want no part of it. My Sonic glory days are over. Mine started back with Sonic 2 and ended at Heroes. Since then, I've yet to be impressed with Sega's Sonic games. Sure, some are okay here and there, but they aren't the same.

Yet, I come here longing for the old Sonic. The Sonic we knew before Shadow's death. Shadow's death is symbolic of the ending of my glory days of Sonic... and thus the ending of the Adventure Sonic and the series for me.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medalw11Sonic Generations - Page 5 White10Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medal13

Rep67

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Empty Sonic Generations DEMO Coming JUNE 23rd!

Post by Jmh June 23rd 2011, 12:07 am

http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-generations-demo-sonic-bundle-arriving-tomorrow-204346.phtml

Yes, on Sonic's birthday, June 23rd (Tomorrow), SEGA will release the official Sonic Generations demo for XBL and PSN, as well as a bundle or something, if anyone cares about that.

There's only one downside to it; the demo will only be available for 20 days, so be sure to get it NOW (Or... Tomorrow)... !
    Sonowske
    Sonowske

Sonic Generations - Page 5 WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Sonowske June 23rd 2011, 5:56 am

Should arrive in the next few hours or so.

EDIT: Nevermind.
    Hushimo
    Hushimo

Sonic Generations - Page 5 GOMM8

Rep38

Post by Hushimo June 23rd 2011, 4:32 pm

Downloading now.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Rep67

Post by Jmh June 23rd 2011, 7:11 pm

Just played it, and it's great.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Sonic Generations - Page 5 VOZLn

Rep11

Post by Phantom June 23rd 2011, 8:01 pm

Verily so. What I've said from Sonic Boom applies here.
    Link451
    Link451

Rep11

Post by Link451 June 23rd 2011, 10:13 pm

It was okay; nothing special. Would have liked to play the modern gameplay too.
    Yeow95

Sonic Generations - Page 5 WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Yeow95 June 23rd 2011, 11:16 pm

FINALLY! I got to play that demo!
    Now I tried the physics, and here's what I found that needs to be fixed.

- Rolling. It still doesn't get you far. And on the corkscrew at the end of the level, Sonic uncurls. At times it also doesn't work-I recall rolling into an Motorbug and dying for some reason.
    - The spindash. Overpowered, regardless whether you're doing it the classic way (down + X [PS3] / A[360]) or using the SA hotkey way (Square[PS3] / X[360]). There's little-to-no distance variation on charges, 2-3 taps and you're off like a bullet. Also, you can't tap it once and see Sonic charging off-he only rolls forward slowly.
    - The tunnels are scripted. Regardless what speed Sonic's going, it'll suck him through and push him out at high speeds like the tubes from Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2.
    - The springs are also automated-simply touch it, and you be launched in the air-even from below. And when you're launched from the spring, you can't move. Only on springs that launch you up you can move, but only after you've reached the designated height the spring has fixed for you.
    - Upward ramps are also automated as well-just like the upward springs, you can't move until you've reached the designated height the ramp has fixed for you.
    - I'm not exatly sure, but I'm pretty sure that regardless how many badniks you destroy, you don't bounce any higher with each badnik-the height stays the same.
    - There's a specific area than once you go through, you can't go back up through it-it's literally impossible. All the paths at that point fold before that area, so there's no alternative way to go back there.
    - Just like what other people are saying, Sonic's jump feels heavy at times.

Finally (this may be considered nitpicking), the screen doesn't move up or down when you make Sonic look up or crouch.

Other than the aforementioned flaws above, the demo was pretty good. Amazing visuals, OK level design and controls, nice animation.
    BlazePrower9205

Sonic Generations - Page 5 3qll2

: Female
     Rep3

Post by BlazePrower9205 June 24th 2011, 8:54 am

I'm a little disappointed that it's only the Classic Sonic demo, but I'm fine with it. So far, the demo's pretty good. :)
    karkooshy
    karkooshy

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medalg10

Rep9

Post by karkooshy June 24th 2011, 9:33 am

ooh... look what they found back at Sonic Stadium...

So yes, me and my crew started rummaging through the demo already. Needless to say, we need the classic model for Sonic Freerunner so... yeah.

We ran into a good bit of things.

First off, modern GHZ and modern Sonic's assets are in the folders, so it's not unlikely at all for this thing to later unlock modern Sonic's GHZ stage being playable. The greatest part? That is not all. The entirety of City Escape is in here too. That pretty much means we may get to play CE before the game's release. This also means that Omochao, the GUN robots, the giant fish from GHZ and everything is also inside the demo's files.

Some other things (put in spoiler tags):
    Spoiler:

{Also, the same site confirmed Ocean Palace from Sonic Heroes to be in the game)

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/9422-hidden-assets-of-the-generations-demo-spoilers/

Jmh
    Jmh

Rep67

Post by Jmh June 24th 2011, 1:02 pm

karkooshy wrote:ooh... look what they found back at Sonic Stadium...

So yes, me and my crew started rummaging through the demo already. Needless to say, we need the classic model for Sonic Freerunner so... yeah.

We ran into a good bit of things.

First off, modern GHZ and modern Sonic's assets are in the folders, so it's not unlikely at all for this thing to later unlock modern Sonic's GHZ stage being playable. The greatest part? That is not all. The entirety of City Escape is in here too. That pretty much means we may get to play CE before the game's release. This also means that Omochao, the GUN robots, the giant fish from GHZ and everything is also inside the demo's files.

Some other things (put in spoiler tags):
    Spoiler:

{Also, the same site confirmed Ocean Palace from Sonic Heroes to be in the game)

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/9422-hidden-assets-of-the-generations-demo-spoilers/

Holy crap, that would be awesome if we get to play as Knuckles.
    karkooshy
    karkooshy

Sonic Generations - Page 5 Medalg10

Rep9

Post by karkooshy June 24th 2011, 5:23 pm

Jmh wrote:Holy crap, that would be awesome if we get to play as Knuckles.

Could just be a model for a cutscene... or maybe Knuckles will be a boss to beat xP
    I doubt any characters but both sonics would be playable. Level design doesn't suit any other character, and if they're re-designing each level for different characters, you can expect the game to be extremely short per character... which would suck... (in my opinion).
    They need to include as many past levels as possible.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Sonic Generations - Page 5 56qtD

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z June 26th 2011, 8:53 am

Awesome! I'm going to go fire up my Xbox and start downloading the de-... wait, wha- XBOX LIVE GOLD ONLY? AND IT ONLY LASTS 20 DAYS?! Damn you, Microsoft. Guess I'll just look at youtube videos of gameplay and look at all the juicy details in the thread Karkooshy linked to.

Edit: Looks good, although the spindash looks insanely fast. I also saw the gameplay demo of City Escape, and the giant sawblades on the Gun track are hilarious.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content